Sunday, October 28, 2012

inspired.


"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don't set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life." 
-Elder M. Russel Ballard, Oct 18, 1981



Today was ward conference at church. One of the counselors in the stake presidency came to speak to us in Relief Society and said "All those things you're worrying about? Stop worrying about them."
As a major worrier prone to anxiety/panic attacks when things get really bad, I loved hearing this. About a week and a half ago, I felt so overwhelmed with everything in life that I could hardly breathe. I felt like a huge weight was weighing down on me, and I was seriously stressed for a couple days in a row. Luckily, mid-terms are over and things have smoothed out. Life is so stressful sometimes. 

This counselor said that a few years ago, he got a call saying that his son had fallen at work and that they were "pretty sure he would walk again." He said at that point, it didn't matter how much he had stressed over tests and grad school and finding a job. None of that mattered at that point because all he cared about was the well being of his son. 

There are times for worrying and there are times where we worry and it doesn't matter. I need to be better about trusting the Lord and putting things in His hands. 

I randomly found the above quote in some notes on my computer. I think it ties in well with the lesson I heard today though. We can set spiritual and temporal goals. If we don't accomplish those spiritual goals, we will look back on our lives and see that we could have accomplished so much more. If we spend our lives worrying about trivial things, we will lose sight of what matters most.  If we put the Lord and our spiritual goals first, our temporal goals will fall into place as well (of course as the Lord sees fit--He always sees the bigger picture). 


I have been stressing about what to do next semester and about what we should do after we graduate next year. I love having a plan, and at this point, we really have no idea what we're doing next year. But I know things will work out and eventually we will have a plan, and it will all be okay. That alone is comfort enough for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment